Pages

Friday 22 July 2016

What always happens...Life

Illustration by @bymariandrew

I don't really use this blog as a platform much anymore. It was my outlet to talk about beauty and now my job is to talk about beauty and being busy with uni and work and life its hard to keep a regular schedule. I do still like to share things with you guys and I thought I would do a little life update before uni starts back again.

The last two months I've been on break from uni and to be honest I wish I had done more exciting things but most of the time I spent picking up extra shifts at work, spending the money I had made picking up extra shifts at work on makeup and many solo netflix and chill sessions (sad I know...at least I didn't start playing Pokemon).
***

Apart from being super lazy I also really got into listening to podcasts. This American Life is my absolute favourite and I've been going back to earlier years and listening to their back catalog. The best way to listen to new episodes is to subscribe through iTunes but if you want to search and listen to past episodes you'll need to download their app. I also went to see the live show Three Acts, Two Dancers, One Radio Host - which was Ira Glass, the host of This American Life, telling stories from the show combined with dancing and it was fantastic and so hilarious. I also listened to every single episode of Starlee Kine's podcast Mystery Show, which surprise surprise, involves solving mysteries. I would highly recommend and Starlee Kine is so interesting to listen to. You can download on iTunes.
***

Unfortunately I didn't get to read as many books as I wanted during the break, in fact I only finished one and it was Jennifer Niven's All the Bright Places. I didn't realise it was YA when I started reading it, but I continued to read because it was a nice and easy way to pass the time on train rides. I did enjoy it in the end and despite being YA it was really emotionally challenging as it touched a lot on mental illness and suicide. I thought overall the characters were written quite well and were interesting to read which definitely kept me engaged despite the gross teenage love plot. It also had heaps of literary allusions, particularly to Virginia Woolf, which I really appreciated being an English major and Woolf being my favourite author so overall would definitely recommend.
***

I just wanted to reflect a little on the picture I included at the top of this post (make sure you check out the artist @bymariandrew on instagram her illustrations are amazing and so relatable!). Something really struck me about her drawing because I feel like it reflects what my life has been like for most of this year. In March, my four year relationship ended. Being single has been really strange for me, especially after so long and to be honest I'm really struggling to be by myself. Of course there has been some great things to come of it and most importantly for me I have never been so motivated to be social and work on my friendships. I was reminded of how many amazing, beautiful and supportive friends I have in my life who make me feel valued and confident. I still struggle with being by myself and having thoughts that I need to be in a relationship (which I know I don't need to). But Mari Andrew's drawing made me realise that love is just one piece in the big picture. In the last couple of months I've been able to still enjoy my life and have adventures and spend time writing and being creative and hanging out with my mum and dancing to Destiny's Child as I wash the dishes. I hope over the next coming months I can become even more confident in myself and truly believe that I don't need a romantic relationship for my life to be fulfilling.

I have got a few beauty related posts all ready to go so look out for those in the next week or so!

xx Cat

No comments:

Post a Comment